A lot of villages in Perigord are well-known for their beauty and authenticity. Everything there is charming, from the stones colour to the friendliness and welcome of the locals and the natural surroundings beauty that changes with each season
Some villages have been classified amongst “the most beautiful villages in France”.
- This is the case of Saint-Jean de Cole,
- Saint Léon sur Vézère,
- Limeuil the medieval city at the junction of the Vezere and Dordogne rivers,
- Beynac, La Roque Gageac located at the bottom of the cliff on the right bank of the Dordogne,
- Domme the French royal walled city,
- Belvès, the 7 church tower medieval city
- Monpazier and the English walled city
- Saint Amand de Coly
In Beynac, the enlacement of medieval, gothic and renaissance architecture is superb by day and stunning by night when the soft light reveals the houses blond colour. A city of great historical wealth where every passage way, every stone has a story to tell. Not to be missed is the 15th of August fireworks celebrations..
Belvès: In this authentic medieval site, the stone paved streets are animated by the Saturday morning market where you can discover local produces.
Perigueux, capital of Perigord will allow you to explore 2000 years of history : from the ancient Gallo-roman City of Vesunna to the heart of the Renaissance medieval city, it gathers 39 historical heritage classified buildings in one of France largest protected precinct.
Since 2003, Perigueux’s ancient city hosts a new museum : the Gallo-Roman site museum Vesunna signed by the architect Jean Nouvel.